- 1 When a guy stares at you what is he thinking?
- 2 What does a guy notice in a girl while he is staring at her?
- 3 Why guys stare at me but never approach?
- 4 What is the eye lock attraction?
- 5 Can you sense when a guy is thinking about you?
When a guy stares at you what is he thinking?
He’s Staring at You – Have you noticed he has been looking at you a lot more often these days? If you notice he is making more eye contact with you or you catch a guy staring at you, he is probably attracted to you, He may be enthralled by your good looks and may be fantasizing about kissing you, Perhaps he stares at you and smiles; that could mean he likes you, too. Related Articles
How to Tell if Someone Is Attracted to You How to Respond to a Flirty Compliment in Any Situation 9 Common Signs a Guy Likes You As More Than a Friend
Cosmopolitan ‘s list of body language cues to watch for says he may not leave it to intense eye contact to communicate his feelings to you. Instead, when a guy stares at you, he may spend some time looking at your mouth and nose while you chat. Pay attention to how focused he is on your face versus looking over your shoulder or around the room.
He may be staring (and totally into you) but not talk to you if he’s nervous. Need to Know If you find yourself wondering, “why do guys stare at me and never smile?,” you’re really not alone; this strange quirk of male behavior can feel mystifying. It can mean a lot of things, but usually, he’s just super shy or lost in thought while his eyes rest on your face.
Try smiling at him to see if he smiles back.
Do guys stare when they like you?
14. He is trying to convey his feelings – Sometimes a guy may stare at a woman because he is trying to convey a message. He might be telling you with his eyes that he likes you and he wants to pursue a relationship with you. Research itself has proven that eye contact is a proven method of non-verbal communication.
Why would a guy stare at you?
Someone could stare at you because they think you are very attractive or they would like to get to know you, or someone could stare just out of curiosity about something. Since he doesn’t seem inclined to initiate interaction with you (since all he does is stare), try talking to him.
What if a guy stares at you but doesn t smile?
5. They’re Attracted to You – It may sound counterintuitive, but sometimes an unsmiling stare is actually a sign of attraction. A guy might be so captivated by your appearance or demeanor that he forgets to smile or simply doesn’t know how to react. The lack of a smile might not be a sign of disinterest; rather, it could indicate that he’s feeling a strong connection and doesn’t want to look away.
What does a guy notice in a girl while he is staring at her?
Most times the first thing men get to notice is what they fancy most in a woman and that’s what’s going to motivate him to either start a conversation or just walk away. Personally I like beautiful faces, but I hardly notice that first, I look at the body, I like a sizeable booty and I can’t lie, I look there as well.
What guys really notice about your looks?
The eyes most definitely get all the attention, especially when a man first meets a woman. The shape, size and color can easily tempt a man into wanting to know who the woman is behind those eyes. Yes, a smile is one of the things that a guy will first notice about you.
Does staring mean attraction?
1. Non-threatening stare – This type of staring is the good type, where you’re intently focusing on someone’s eyes, and not in a creepy way. Staring at someone could show that you’re attracted to them but you might be afraid to admit it. However, staring can be tricky; if you stare at someone for too long, it can come across as confrontational, invasive, and, at the very least, make them uncomfortable.
Why would a guy turn and angle his body towards you, look in your eyes from across the room, and stare at you without blinking? Its pretty obvious, that the guy is interested in you, wanted your attention, and see how you would respond.
Why guys stare at me but never approach?
10 Reasons Why Guys Stare at You But Never Smile or Approach You –
They are lost in thought
Many people often zone out while looking at something or someone, and that could be the reason why some guys stare at you but never smile or approach you. They are lost in thought and are likely not even aware that they zoned out while looking at you.
The guy is shy
Shyness is one of the most common reasons why guys stare at you but never smile or approach you to start a conversation. They may be attracted to you but lack the guts to take any action except staring. Shy guys and some introverted men often ignore or pretend not to be looking at you, only to stare when they think you are preoccupied with other things.
They have bad intentions for you
Not everyone who stares at you is interested in you romantically. One of the reasons why some guys stare at you but never smile is that they have bad intentions for you. For instance, a guy who is staring at you intensely without smiling could be stalking you, trying to intimidate you, or planning to commit a crime against you, such as robbery or kidnapping.
If your intuition warns you that the staring guy is not a good person, pay attention to it and leave the area to go home or to a friend’s place, or move to a more crowded location. You are not being paranoid. Removing yourself from the sight of a suspicious guy who is staring at you without smiling is an act of self-preservation,
READ ALSO: 10 Best Tips for Living Alone (Challenges, Solutions, and Benefits)
They are intimidated by you
The reason why guys stare at you but never smile or approach you could be that they are intimidated by you. It may happen because the men think you are better than them in some aspects, or they think you are out of their league. Even non-shy guys can find you intimidating if you are beautiful, successful, confident, popular, independent, or smarter than them.
You are doing something weird/odd
We are all a little weird, However, your odd behaviors or features that call attention to yourself could be the reasons why guys stare at you but never smile or approach you. For example, you may have a physical flaw; be loud, rude, or overly dramatic ; have your clothes inside out, or perhaps, you are inserting yourself into a men-only activity or space.
- The guys staring at you without smiling could be just doing it because they find you a little odd.
- They may not smile or approach you because they are surprised by your behavior or appearance, they think you don’t belong there, they don’t want to encourage you, or they don’t want to attract attention to themselves by associating with you.
READ ALSO: 11 ‘Embarrassing’ Health Issues That Are More Common Than You Might Think
They want to observe and learn more about you
One of the reasons why guys stare at you but never smile or approach you is that they are interested in you but want to study you first. Men don’t always approach you the moment they see you. Some will stare at you and observe you for a while to learn more about you before introducing themselves to you.
They will judge you based on your behavior during this observation period and decide whether to take any action. Since you don’t know why they are doing it, it can be anxiety-inducing when a guy observes you in this way. You can’t tell what the men are thinking while staring at you, and you may never know their thoughts if they decide not to approach you.
READ ALSO: The Ugly Side of Beauty: Can Being Attractive Ruin Your Personality?
The guy thinks you look familiar
Have you ever stared at someone for a long time trying to place them? Many of us have done this in the presence of someone we think we know from somewhere but can’t figure out where. The reason why some guys stare at you but never smile could be that they think you look familiar.
The guy is upset
One of the most common reasons why guys stare at you but never smile is that they are mad at you, someone else, or their circumstances. You may have knowingly or unknowingly done something that upset them, and they are staring at you hoping you will realize and apologize.
Alternatively, a man may stare at you without smiling because they are mad about something that has nothing to do with you. The guy may be just looking in your general direction while distracted by thoughts about the issues that put them in a bad mood. If you haven’t done anything to upset them, don’t take it personally if guys stare at you but never smile or approach you.
READ ALSO: 10 Things You Should Never Apologize for
They are playing it cool
Another reason why guys stare at you but never smile or approach you is that they want to play it cool with you. They don’t want to appear too interested in you because they know that being overly nice or too eager are usually turn-offs for some people.
Seeming too interested, eager, or too nice can also make some people distrust you, thinking you have ulterior motives. In addition, a guy may stare at you but not smile or approach you in an attempt to appear mysterious so they can catch your attention and arouse your curiosity or desire. After all, most people want what is not easily available to them.
Guys who stare at you without smiling may be doing it because they want you to make the first move. They want you to be the first to smile or approach them to confront them about the staring or to show interest, Unfortunately, this may work against these men if you consider the intense staring a predatory behavior and avoid them.
They are unsure about your relationship status or sexual orientation
While sometimes it is easy to tell who is single and who is dating someone, it can be difficult for one to know your relationship status if you don’t inform them or if they don’t ask, It can also be hard to know someone’s sexual orientation for the same reasons.
Perhaps you show up with your guy friends at every event. Or hang out with the same girl. The men who are attracted to you may not be able to figure out whether you are dating or single; or whether you are even into men. The reason why guys stare at you with interest but never smile or approach you could be that they are unsure of your relationship status or sexual orientation.
They don’t want to violate the Bro Code by flirting with another man’s girlfriend. They may not even know whether you like guys at all! Men who are attracted to you could also stare at you but never smile or approach you if they already know you are in a relationship.
What is the eye lock attraction?
When you lock eyes with someone, it shows you have strong feelings of attraction towards this person. When a guy locks eyes with you, it most likely means he is a very confident and courageous person and wants to use this prolonged look into your eyes to show you that he is interested in you.
Why do people always stare at me?
Why do people stare at me? – People often stare out of curiosity. We are all curious when we see something new or someone different. Although it can make us feel uncomfortable, people often do this by accident, without meaning to. Not everyone will have met or seen someone who has a visible difference before.
Will a guy avoid eye contact if he finds you attractive?
1. He’s totally into you – The most popular reason for “he makes eye contact with everyone but me” is attraction. A guy might be avoiding looking directly into your eyes because he has a major crush on you, or in fact, might as well be in love with you.
- It’s one of the signs he finds you irresistible,
- As we are aware, men are not the best at expressing their feelings.
- And so, the easiest way out is to hide them.
- The other reason might be that since he finds you extremely attractive and is crushing hard on you, he might get intimidated by all of it.
- And if this is the case, don’t you worry.
He will eventually confess his feelings to you.
How do guys act around a girl they like?
Guys flirt with girls they like. He might ask you for your number, then call you the next day. He may act playful, wink, and flash a smile at you. If most of your conversations feel flirty, then odds are that he likes you as more than just a friend.
How do guys drop hints that they like you?
25 Ways Guys Hint They Like You: Signs and Signals
- Guys that are into you often use lots of emojis, text first, or even double text.
- Watch for in-person signs, like holding eye contact, respectful little touches, or leaning in close.
- A follow-up text after a date or hangout, or a raincheck when he can’t make it are sure signs that he wants to spend more time with you.
- Emojis mean he’s trying to be playful and flirty. It’s true that deciphering emojis can be like trying to read a foreign language sometimes, but if he’s and dropping a smiley or 2 into every message, then he’s trying to keep things light and make sure you’re comfortable chatting. Why? Because he’s definitely interested.
- Don’t be afraid to sprinkle the emojis into your own texts. A well-placed 😘 emoji is the perfect flirty response.
- A double text shows enthusiasm, not desperation. It’s time to lay the double-text stigma to rest. Who needs a guy who doesn’t care enough to text you more than once in a row? Maybe he’s got a lot to say, or maybe he’s just making sure you got the message. Either way, it’s a great sign.
- Take the pressure off him by double or even triple texting yourself. There’s nothing more fun than an enthusiastic convo.
- Putting away his phone means he’s prioritizing you. A guy who can’t be bothered to be present and in the moment with you is not a guy who’s worth your time. But if the phone is off and away and it’s just the two of you together? That’s a green light right there.
- Show him the same courtesy by putting your own phone away. You don’t need to turn it completely off, but out of sight and out of mind.
- He can’t hang this time, but he definitely wants to hang. Don’t worry, there’s a million valid reasons he can’t make it, and most of them have nothing to do with you. But if he reschedules, then he definitely wants to spend time with you, and he wants you to know that.
- Take him up on it! Make new plans ASAP to secure the date.
A quick reply means he’s eager to talk to you. If you spot those 3 “Typing” dots right after you sent that last text, then he’s taking full advantage of any opportunity to talk to you. And even if he doesn’t text right back, dont worry—he might just be busy (super valid) or away from his phone (also valid). He’ll get back to you! Advertisement
- He goes out of his way to hang out with you. If he likes you, he’ll want to be around you whenever he can. If he’s carving time out of his calendar or even canceling plans to hang out with you, that’s definitely a good sign.
- If you like him, then make the same effort, and tell him how much you like spending time with him.
- A guy who’s into you will want to know more about you. He asks you about your background, family, what you get up to in your free time, which TV shows you watch. Taking a genuine interest in your personal life might mean he’s interested in you as a romantic possibility, too.
- Ask him questions about his own interests, like his friends, family, books, music, etc.
- Showing initiative is always a good sign. You don’t have to wait for him to make the first move, because he’s already made it. A guy who likes you won’t ever keep you waiting for that “You up?” text, because he wants to talk to you as much as you want to talk to him.
- Don’t keep him waiting if he texts first, and also be the one to send that first text of the day every now and then to show him you’re enthusiastic.
- An attentive and caring guy brings up small things you told him. He remembers your coffee order, no sweat, or you’ll be having a conversation and he’ll bring up a detail you might not even remember telling him. He doesn’t just want to know about you; he’s storing that info for the long run.
- Jot down details about him after you talk, and offer the same gesture.
- He’d rather move the conversation past the texting phase. Talking over the phone just isn’t enough for him; he’s dying to take you out. Even if it’s just for coffee or to hang at the park, it’s a sign the two of you are on your way to romance.
- to meet in a public area that you’re comfortable in, and let someone else know where you’re going. If the date turns out to be a drag, you’ll have an escape plan.
- Getting closer to you is positive body language. He’s not just making sure you can hear him. When a guy likes you, he wants to be physically close to you, and talking to you is the perfect opportunity to do just that.
- If you’re into him, don’t shy away! You might even lean in yourself to match his energy.
- There’s a reason he can’t take his eyes off you. You catch him staring from across the room, and maybe he even quickly looks away, blushing. He likes what he sees, and he just can’t help himself.
- Give him a nod or a little wave to let him know you see him, too.
He’s making sure you see him, and that you know he sees you. We all know how it feels to talk to a guy whose eyes are wandering—he’s spacey and not all that interested. But if he’s holding eye contact, especially holding it for a bit longer than he might usually, he’s probably trying to get you to notice him as much as you want him to notice you. Advertisement
- He wants to be the first thing you think about each day. This one’s a no-brainer. A guy who sends you a text the first thing in morning is one who’s definitely smitten. You were the first thing he thought of when he woke up, and he wants tot be the same to you.
- Say it back! A mutual good morning text is the perfect way to start your day.
- Open communication shows he’s serious about you. Sure, he may not come right out and say, “I like you,” but a guy who’s open about his feelings and sensitive about yours is a guy who trusts you, and wants you to trust him, too.
- Let him know you appreciate his openness, and that you enjoy having someone you can confide in.
- Consistently liking your posts is a sure sign of a crush. He doesn’t want to miss a single update, and he wants you to know that, too. And if he’s commenting on your posts, too, then there’s almost no question—you’ve got an admirer.
- Drop a like on his posts, and definitely drop a like on his comments to let him know you’ve read them.
- A guy who’s into you will brighten up when you’re around. He just won’t be able to help himself. Take note of how he looks before he sees you, and then watch how wide he smiles when he does spot you. If he’s into you, you’re probably the highlight of his day, and it’ll show on his face.
- Smile right back to let him know you’re as happy to see him as he is to see you.
- Giving advice is a sign of a close bond, and that he’s paying attention. It takes a close relationship and a good listener to offer advice. If you’re telling him your problems and he’s trying to help you solve them, it means he cares about you and wants you to be happy.
- Tell him how much you appreciate talking to him and having him offer his help. He’ll appreciate how much you appreciate it.
- Wanting to see you smile is a good hint he’s attracted to you. We want to see the people we care about smile, so it only makes sense that if he’s cracking jokes or acting goofy around you, he cares about you.
- Go ahead and laugh! And try cracking your own jokes right back.
- He wants you to know something reminded him of you. Maybe it’s a snap he wanted to share, or he saw a meme that he thought might make you laugh. You’re on his mind, and there’s no better place to be.
- Share your own memes or jokes with him to build up your inside jokes and shared humor.
- If he liked spending time with you, he’ll want to keep talking. You won’t have to wonder if it went well, because he’ll let you know. He’s saying, “Keep your schedule open, because I’ll be hitting you up again.” So keep your schedule open!
- Let him know how much you enjoyed your time, too, and even suggest a plan for when you hang out next.
- Using your name often in conversation is a subtle sign he likes you. It’s a little bit of psychology: we like to hear our own names said, and we also love to hear the names of the people we love. If he’s using your name a bit more than usual in conversations with you, it means he likes the sound of it, and just can’t help saying it over and over.
- Two can play this game: drop his name here and there in conversation and watch his face as you say it. A slight smile or a blush is a sure sign that he liked hearing you say it.
- He’s letting you into his social circle to keep you around. It means he’s decided you’re cool enough to be a part of the gang. And if you’re part of the gang, it means he plans to spend more time with you. After all, if the 2 of you end up dating, then there’s no point in keeping you away from them.
- Introduce him to your own friends if you think the 2 of you have a future together. As a bonus, your friends are sure to tell you if they think he’s good enough for you.
- Respectful physical contact is a green light. Your hands brush against each other when he hands you something, your shoulders touch when you sit next to each other, he gives you a big, perfect hug when he sees you. He wants to be close to you, and he’s taking every opportunity to do it.
- Reciprocate! Don’t be afraid to initiate a hug or playfully ruffle his hair. Match his energy, and he’ll get the message.
- If he says he likes you, believe it! Some guys play games and getting past the will-they-won’t-they stage is exhausting. Other guys get right down to the point, and we’re big fans of those guys.
- Do you like him? Let him know! Life is too short to dance around love, you know?
Ask a Question Advertisement This article was written by and by wikiHow staff writer,, John Keegan is a Dating Coach and motivational speaker based in New York City. With over 10 years of professional experience, he runs The Awakened Lifestyle, where he uses his expertise in dating, attraction, and social dynamics to help people find love.
- Co-authors: 4
- Updated: March 7, 2023
- Views: 28,826
Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 28,826 times. : 25 Ways Guys Hint They Like You: Signs and Signals
Is staring at someone flirting?
Eye contact can be a powerful flirting technique. In a study published in the Journal of Research in Personality, researchers found that participants who gazed into each other’s eyes for prolonged periods were more likely to report feelings of affection for the other person.
Does staring mean flirting?
A lot of times, yes. When you see someone attractive for the first time, you do tend to stare. It’s human nature. If you stare too much, it can be seen as creepy, but if you talk to the person and get to know them a little, they might be more comfortable with you watching them and take it as flirting.
Does staring mean she likes you?
What Does It Mean When a Girl Stares at You? (11 Reasons)
- If she’s giving you a friendly look or watching you do something fun, staring might be a sign that she wants to be friends.
- If she’s gazing deep into your eyes while smiling and/or initiating touch, she may have a crush on you.
- If she’s glaring at you, she could be mad at you or someone else in her life.
- Even if it’s not flirting, a unique quality of yours could intrigue her. She might notice the way you speak, an activity you’re doing well, or your impeccable fashion sense. If she finds you interesting, her eyes will be fixed on whatever part of you draws her attention—meaning she’s not necessarily giving you a flirty look or trying to catch your eyes. Girls might watch you this way because:
- You’re practicing a skill she wants to learn or finds fascinating, like beating a level in a video game or sketching in a notebook.
- You’re telling a compelling story and gesturing with your hands for dramatic effect.
- You’re talking, and it’s difficult to hear, so she’s staring at your lips to get a sense of what you say.
- If she compliments you, say “thanks” and have a friendly chat with her (if you want to). If not, you can always just keep doing whatever you were doing.
- Staring while in conversation is a sign that she finds you captivating. As you talk to this girl, you’ll notice her making a lot of eye contact, smiling, and leaning forward towards you simultaneously. She might break eye contact every so often (which is natural) but will quickly and earnestly meet your gaze again. This means she’s enjoying your conversation and wants to keep talking to you!
- If she’s interested in continuing the conversation, she’ll also, That means she’s giving you her full attention, letting you finish your thoughts before replying, and asking thoughtful follow-up questions.
- Tell her about yourself and show her the interest is mutual by asking some thoughtful open-ended questions that allow you both to get to know one another better.
- She might stare while discussing her crush on you with friends. Do you share any friends or acquaintances? She might like you and want to tell her friends about it. If she’s staring at you consciously or stealing glances but avoids making actual eye contact (while surrounded by a group of friends), she’s likely talking about you.
- It’s also possible she could be gossiping if she heard something about you and wanted to discuss it with other friends.
- You can tell whether the discussion is good or bad by looking at their faces. The girl could be talking about a crush if she’s smiling and giggling with her friends. If they all look serious, it might be a negative rumor.
- Smiling and looking at you often is a surefire sign of attraction. When a girl is attracted to you, she’ll look at you appreciatively and consciously—hoping you’ll notice rather than sneaking glances without really thinking about it. She’ll also try to meet your gaze and make eye contact while smiling at you.
- If you see a girl checking you out, she might be sending signals that she’d like to chat. Head over and, but be sure to respect her space if it turns out she was just looking!
- Looking at you intently and initiating small touches means she likes you. When she develops romantic feelings for you (beyond just attraction), she might try to convey her crush when she hangs out with you. A girl that likes you will make eye contact while brushing your arm, elbow, or hands softly while you talk.
- She may also act nervous since talking to a crush can feel so intense! If you notice her talking fast and blurting things out in a way that she doesn’t do with others, she’s probably crushing on you.
- If you like her too,, You could even come right out and if you’re confident that both of you are interested.
- Girls use their gaze to get attention and see if you feel the same. When she’s flirty, a girl will catch your eye and hold it; you’ll be able to because her look will be more sultry and seductive than a typical glace. She might also play with her hair, twirling it or brushing it with her fingers.
- If this happens as you talk to her, you’ll also notice her smiling and giggling at your words, perhaps even playfully hitting you on the shoulder when you say something flirtatious.
- To flirt back, meet her gaze strongly without letting your eyes dart over the room. This conveys confidence and attraction!
- A girl in love lights up when she sees you and gazes at you adoringly. If the two of you are an established couple and you catch her staring at you, she’s likely doing it because it’s second nature by now; she gravitates toward you when you’re together and focuses on you more than other people she’s with. Other are:
- She’ll mirror your body language, making the same movement right after you do when you’re together.
- She smiles more often, and those smiles are usually directed at you.
- She makes frequent eye contact, conveying feelings of warmth, tenderness, and affection.
- If you love her back, then ! You can also show your love through physical affection; meet her eyes and smile back, or put an arm around her and hold her close.
You might look like a friend, relative, or even a celebrity she likes. In this case, you’ll notice her subconsciously glancing at you for several seconds, as though she’s not sure where she knows you from. She won’t be trying to catch your eyes but instead studying your face carefully—and if she sees that you’ve noticed, she probably won’t look again.
- She may be looking in your direction because she’s lost in thought. When people get dazed or preoccupied with an internal train of thought, they tend to settle their gaze on whatever is in front of them without seeing anything. A girl who looks at you but doesn’t notice you might be busy daydreaming!
- You can always just ignore someone staring in your direction. Alternatively, catch her eye and see how she reacts. If she looks away quickly, it was likely a subconscious stare.
- Some girls prefer passive-aggressive looks to confrontation when upset. You may notice her glaring at you without a trace of a smile on her face, which implies she’s upset or annoyed at you in some way. Other signs that she’s upset include giving you the silent treatment or speaking sarcastically (and sometimes with deliberate rudeness) when she does talk to you.
- If you think she’s upset, think about why or when she started acting upset to give you a clue if you’re unsure. Did you do something unintentionally hurtful, or could there be a misunderstanding between you?
- Approach her and ask for open communication between you both. Tell her you’d like to fix the problem and work on a solution together.
- Some play mind games to make friends or love interests take notice. Girls who do this will stare at you to get your attention but also glance at the person they’re trying to provoke and see if they’ve noticed. If you think a girl might just be trying to make someone else jealous, listen to your instincts and steer clear of her!
- Keep an eye out for more signs. If she’s playing with your feelings to make someone else jealous, she likely won’t commit to much and will pull away from emotional intimacy, even if you go on dates together.
Question I have a crush on a girl, and I think she feels the same way about me. She looks at me whenever I walk in but immediately looks away and then looks at me again. Is this a sign? It could be. One way to find out is to ask her for a date.
Ask a Question Advertisement This article was written by and by wikiHow staff writer,, Joshua Pompey is a Relationship Expert with over 10 years of helping people navigate the online dating world. Joshua has run his own relationship consulting business since 2009 at a success rate of over 99%.
- Co-authors: 5
- Updated: July 27, 2023
- Views: 247,176
Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 247,176 times. : What Does It Mean When a Girl Stares at You? (11 Reasons)
Can you sense when a guy is thinking about you?
1 He texts you good morning and good night.2 He sends you random messages all day long.3 He asks you lots of questions.
What is the eye lock attraction?
When you lock eyes with someone, it shows you have strong feelings of attraction towards this person. When a guy locks eyes with you, it most likely means he is a very confident and courageous person and wants to use this prolonged look into your eyes to show you that he is interested in you.
What goes through a guys mind when he checks you out?
What Does It Mean When a Guy Scans Your Body? Learn what he’s thinking when he’s checking you out Did that cute guy across the room just catch your eye? But wait is he checking you out, or just staring at you? When a guy scans your body, you might be wondering what his intentions are.
- Is he flirting, or is he just super interested in your outfit? That’s where we come in—we’ll tell you exactly why a guy might be looking you up and down, and how you can tell if he’s into you.
- We’ll also give you tips on how to respond to him if you’re interested (and how to reject him if you’re not).
This article is based on an interview with our licensed relationship therapist, Alysha Jeney, owner of Modern Love Counseling, and the co-founder of The Modern Love Box.
- Guys typically scan your body if they think you’re attractive or they’re trying to flirt with you.
- He might also be checking you out because he’s too shy to approach you.
- Watch for other flirtatious body language signals, like prolonged eye contact or leaning in toward you.
- You can encourage the guy to come and talk to you by smiling at him, or you can scowl and cross your arms to scare him off.
- 1 He’s attracted to you. This is the most common reason why a guy would look you up and down: he likes what he sees, and he wants you to know it. He might linger on areas of particular interest, but it all boils down to the same thing—he thinks you’re hot.
- You might see him make eye contact with you, and then “dip” his eyes down to scan the rest of your body. This is a clear sign that he’s interested in you and he wants to see more.
- 2 He’s flirting with you. Sometimes, flirting is subtle, and it doesn’t even have to happen face to face. If you catch a guy scanning your body from across the room, it might be his way of letting you know that he’s interested. Advertisement
- 3 He’s too shy to come and talk to you. Guys get shy sometimes, too! Maybe he thinks you’re really pretty, but he’s way too nervous to tell you that. Scanning your body is his way of taking in the view and (hopefully) working up the courage to approach you.
- When a guy is shy, he might not make a ton of eye contact with you. However, you’ll definitely notice him checking you out, even if it’s from afar.
- might be a little different than landing a super extroverted guy. Typically, they like it when you make the first move.
- 4 He’s trying to understand your body language. Have you been sending him flirty signals? Maybe he’s studying your body to try and get a hint as to whether you like him or not. If your arms are uncrossed, if you’re facing toward him, and if you’re making eye contact and smiling, you’re sending him cues that you’re into him.
- On the flip side, if your arms are crossed, you’re facing away from him, and you’re not glancing in his direction, he’ll probably take the hint that you don’t like him.
- 5 He thinks you look interesting. Are you wearing a new outfit today? Or, maybe you just dyed your hair a new color. If your look is eye-catching, he might just be taking in the view—whether or not he thinks you’re attractive is another matter entirely.
- Try to take stock of your own look today: are you wearing something colorful and eye-catching? If so, he might not be hitting on you, and he may just have an appreciation for your taste.
- 6 He recognizes you. Have you ever seen someone that you swore you knew, but you just couldn’t quite place them? This guy might be taking you in because he thinks he knows you from somewhere. If he ever figures it out, he’ll likely come strike up a conversation with you.
- You can usually figure this one out by the look on his face: if he looks puzzled or concerned, he’s probably thinking deeply and trying to figure out who you are.
- 7 He’s sizing you up. This one is for particular situations only, but it does happen occasionally. Maybe you and this guy are competing for the same job, or he thinks that you’re trying to steal his girlfriend. If he looks you up and down repeatedly, he may just be trying to assess whether or not you’re a threat.
- He might have a scowl on his face or keep his arms crossed to subtly “intimidate” you.
- 1 Prolonged eye contact When you glance over at him, does this guy hold your gaze for a little longer than usual? If you two chat, does he make sure to look deep into your eyes? Holding eye contact with someone is a surefire way to let them know you’re interested, so if he does this, he’s most likely attracted to you.
- 2 Light touches If this guy is flirting with you, he might pat you on the shoulder or gently touch you on the arm. Light, soft touches show that he wants to get closer to you, and he’s not afraid to break the touch barrier with you.
- 3 Leaning in toward you When someone is attracted to you, they typically sit or stand a little closer to you than normal people would. This is to show you that he’s into you, and he wants to be closer to you (both physically and emotionally).
- You might also notice that he turns his body toward you. This is because he wants to face you, and he’s open to talking with you more.
- 4 Mirroring your body language Mirroring or mimicking body language is a subconscious thing we do when we like someone. If you’re standing with your arms crossed, the guy who likes you might cross his arms, too. When you take a sip of your drink, he’ll probably take a sip, too.
- You might also see him subtly flex his muscles (to look stronger) or fix his hair (to appear more well-groomed).
- 1 Smile and make eye contact with him. If a guy is trying to work up the courage to come talk to you, give him a hint that you’re interested. When he catches your eye, hold eye contact and smile at him. That might be just the confidence-boost he needs to approach you and start chatting.
- Feeling bold? Try making eye contact and then scanning his body, too. This sends a clear message that you noticed what he’s doing (and you’re into it).
- 2 Approach him with a question. If he’s not going to, you can! Head on over and ask him a question to break the ice and start flirting. Try questions like:
- “Have we met yet? I’m Adriana, nice to meet you.”
- “Hey, I wanted to introduce myself. How do you know Danielle?”
- “Have you been here before?”
- 3 Give him a compliment. is a great way to start a conversation while letting him know you think he’s cute. If you’re feeling bold, head on over and tell him how much you like his hair or his outfit.
- “I love your sweater. The color really complements your skin tone.”
- “Your beard is so cool! How long did it take you to grow it out?”
- “I saw you from across the room, and I just had to say that your hair is stunning.”
- 1 Scowl and cross your arms. Closed-off body language sends the signal that no, you don’t want him to come and talk to you. If he’s good at reading body language, he’ll take the hint that he should stop checking you out.
- This works on some guys, but other guys won’t really care. If he does approach you and start chatting with you, use the steps below to get rid of him.
- 2 Tell him you’re not interested. Be polite and direct, but make it clear that you don’t want to talk. Tell him that you’re just here to have fun or to hang with your friends, not to flirt with people.
- “Sorry, I’m not interested. I’m just here with my girlfriends.”
- “You’re wasting your time with me. I’m not here to flirt with anyone.”
- You could even tell him that you’re feeling uncomfortable if he takes things too far.
- If a guy is hitting on you and won’t leave you alone, tell a friend or a friendly stranger and stay near them until you feel safe.
- 3 Let him know that you have a partner. Most guys will respect the fact that you’re already taken. Telling him that you aren’t single will get the message across fast.
- “I’m flattered, but I have a boyfriend.”
- “I’m actually here with my girlfriend.”
Ask a Question Advertisement Written by: Licensed Relationship Therapist This article was written by and by wikiHow staff writer,, Alysha Jeney is a Licensed Relationship Therapist, the Owner of Modern Love Counseling, and the Co-Founder of The Modern Love Box.
- She specializes in relationship therapy, intimacy building, and existential exploration.
- Alysha holds a BA in Psychology from The Metropolitan State University of Denver and an MA in Marriage and Family Therapy/Counseling from Regis University.
- She has been featured in publications such as The Washington Post and The Huffington Post.
This article has been viewed 44,268 times.
- Co-authors: 4
- Updated: December 5, 2022
- Views: 44,268
Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 44,268 times. : What Does It Mean When a Guy Scans Your Body?